You are here
Public Works Department has a glorious history in the state of over 150 years. It is mainly entrusted with the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, and government
buildings. The department also acts as the technical advisor to the State Government. Initially, the works pertaining to Irrigation, Roads, and Bridges as well as constructions cum maintenance of Public Buildings were entrusted to this department.
In the year 1960 a separate "State of Maharashtra" came into existence and thereafter this department by way of reorganization divided into two distinct Departments viz. Irrigation Department & Building and Communication Department. In the year 1980, the housing function was looked after by yet another separate Department and existing Public Works Department continued to get established.
Public Works Department of Govt. of Maharashtra primarily executes the following different vivid development works.
- Construction of New Roads & Bridges.
- Maintenance and repairs of existing Roads and Bridges.
- Construction of Govt. buildings.
- Maintenance and Repairs of existing Govt. buildings.
- Undertaking Deposit Contribution works relating to different Departments of Govt. of Maharashtra as well as of other Local Bodies
- Resettlement works due to Natural calamities like flood, earthquakes etc.
- Construction of Road’s under Employment Guarantee Scheme.
- Construction of Helipads for Very Very Important Person’s visits wherever required.
- Fixation of rent of Private premises requisitioned for housing Govt. offices.
- Designs, construction, maintenance and repairs of runway relating to the Aviation Department.
- Development of Parks and Gardens in the vicinity of important Public Buildings and landscaping of grounds in order to transform into a garden
- Reservation of Govt. Rest Houses and Circuit Houses.
- To undertake auction sale of fruit trees along the roadsides.
- To permit construction of approaches on both sides of roads to the private individual, other institutions, factories, Petrol Pumps etc.
- To allow irrigation drains, electricity lines, telephone duct cables etc. along and across the roads.
- To evacuate the encroachment coming along the roadsides
- The issue of certificates periodically to Cinema Houses about the stability of structures/arrangement related to electrical fittings conforming to Cinema Regulation Act.
- Issues of certificate for lift operating in Private Buildings.
- To lease out the Govt. land for Exhibition/Circus or other purposes etc. temporarily.
- Plantation of trees along both sides of the road
General Organisational set up
In order to ensure timely and effective completion of P.W.D’s work. Public Works Department has evolved a specific set up in which following wings/departments viz. Civil/Electrical/Mechanical/Architectural/ Parks Gardens works together. The control of the operations of these wings vests in "Govt. of Maharashtra" and at Govt. level this control is exercised by the Minister (Public Works) and Minister of State (Public Works) and they are assisted by Secretary (Works) and Secretary (Roads).
At field level the wings as mentioned hereunder work together to accelerate the execution of the works:
1 The Civil Constructions Wing:
The Maharashtra State is divided into six Regions.e.Mumbai/Nagpur/Pune/Aurangabad/Nasik/Amravati and a Chief Engineer for each Region exercises the control. In addition to this two Chief Engineers are posted to Mumbai. Chief Engineer Special Projects looks after the execution of expressway works and flyovers in Mumbai and Chief Engineer National Highway looks after the Mumbai Ahmedabad National Highway work. In every region superintending Engineer / Executive Engineers / Deputy Engineers / Sectional Engineers are executing the works under the control of their Chief Engineer as per necessity.
2. Electrical Wing:
This Wing is headed by the Chief Engineer (Electrical) Mumbai who controls the Superintending Engineers stationed at Bombay /Pune /Nagpur and Aurangabad. The Executive Engineers/Deputy Engineers/Sectional Engineers are deployed under each Superintending Engineer according to necessity.
3. Mechanical Wing:
This Wing is headed by the Chief Engineer (Mechanical) and under his control Superintending Engineers /Executive Engineers / Deputy Engineers /Sectional Engineers are deployed according to requirement. The upkeep/New Purchase, maintenance Repairs of machinery is looked after by this Wing.
4. Architectural Wing:
This Wing is headed by the Chief Architect, Mumbai under whom, at Regional level Deputy chief Architect works. This wing looks after the architectural aspects and sorting out the architectural problems for buildings.
5. Parks and Gardens Wing:
The Superintendent Parks and Garden Maharashtra State, Mumbai head this Wing. This Wing looks after the developments of gardens in the vicinity of Govt. buildings and other Government premises.
Organisational set up at field level
The Chief Engineer is deployed at each divisional headquarters to ensure planning and controlling of the works executed by P. W. Department. In each region, under the control of Chief
Engineer, four/five Superintending Engineers head the Circle. Every circle has jurisdiction extending one to two districts. Further, in each circle different P. W. Divisions, work and Executive
Engineer head these divisions.
The actual execution of work is undertaken and completed through the Executive Engineer. The construction works of roads, bridges, buildings, repairs, renovation, and maintenance work thereof is looked after by each division under its territorial jurisdiction.
In each district there exist two/three divisions and each division is entrusted with a territorial jurisdiction comprising of three/four tahasils. Each division looks after the works of State Highways, major district Roads/buildings in this territorial jurisdiction. The works pertaining to National Highways are executed by the National Highway divisions specially created for this purpose.
In order to improve additional facilities in the communication sector, works / Projects are undertaken on BOT principle. Such works are got completed through private enterprises who are authenticated to collect toll tax for a certain period for use of such works and thereafter the works are handed over to the P. W. Department. For executing such type of works (i.e. Mumbai - Pune Expressway, Integrated Road Development Plan etc.) M.S.R.D.C. has been formed.